Malia has been limping a lot lately but never complains that she is in pain.
I thought maybe she was having some growth issues in her foot but wanted to get it checked out because her limp has steadily gotten worse.
So I made an appointment at primary children's (I've learned to just go straight to the experts). We saw the doctor on Monday who after seeing the x rays of her feet (they wanted to x ray her hips too but I said not until we rule out the feet! Why expose her to more radiation, esp around the most important areas)! Anyway the problem wasn't in her hips at all, it was a growth/stress fracture type thing in the bone of her foot. Loved the guilt i felt when his first question was, "do you guys have a trampoline?"
"yessss," I said trying to smother the apparent shame in my voice.
It's called kohlers syndrome and is a result of too much activity on the feet. See trampolines. I'm sure her hyper flexible joints don't help when it comes to keeping the bones in place in the foot.
Luckily, the seasons over and its a recovery time of six months. Symptoms are pain, but like I say, she's no complainer. So no more trampoline. Hopefully, I don't have to take her out of dance, the doc says its fine as long as it doesn't bother her.
They don't cast it, but she has to wear soft supportive shoes. Skiing has the green light, so you know where we're going to be this winter.



No comments:
Post a Comment