Because right now my time is theirs:)
Last minute, spontaneous, fun. A trip for the kids: lizards, bats, and sand everywhere.
First stop: Giant sand hill. You would think it would have a more creative name, in a place where trails are called 'potato salad' and 'lions back,' but i guess sandpit works.
We arrive just before sundown, so when the bats come out, we can climb the hill and watch them flap about at eye level. They all love the sand and Carson loves the bats. And there is still red sand in my dryer lint collector thingee. arg.
The next day we hiked a family favorite, Corona Arch. We caught lizards, one, which I may have accidentally knocked out- they do play dead right? Carson had a very cool net he got from his birthday from Andy and Camille, along with a little cage to carry small creatures in. He got to carry another little lizard along with him and was so proud of it.
Once at the arch, there were people rope swinging from the top. So fun! It was entertaining just to watch. The guy screamed like a howler monkey when he dropped down.
We spent the rest of the day at the pool and had an early dinner at the Peace Tree restaurant -gotta be the best place to eat in Moab.
On Saturday, Morgan jumped out of bed, made breakfast for everyone and then made sandwiches for the day. He was sooo excited-Wes was taking him on the slickrock practice loop.
Wes did an early morning run then I got to go ride and met them up at the trailhead. I knew Malia and Carson would want to ride too, so while Wes and Morgan were out I let them ride a bit on the slickrock till they'd had enough (about 10 minutes:) then we explored the trail for more lizards till they returned and we all had lunch on the rocks.
Then spent the rest of the day at the pool.
After dinner we headed up moonflower canyon, a very easy hike to a pretty and somewhat sacred area.
Love the rocks and surrounding canyon of echoes.
Did I mention I completely forgot the boys luggage. Yeah, I had to buy them an extra outfit, underwear and swimsuit. So that is why they are wearing the same thing in most of the photos.
Morgan mentioned he wanted to live there because, as he stated, "I am going to be a scientist one day and work in an office all day. So I am going to need to get out and go mountain biking a lot. I have plans Mom, Big plans."
sandy face
Like Father
Like son...
and daughter
Morgan going for the desert survivor look.
Corona Arch
Morgan
Malia's expression--she might as well be on a bullet bike
Malia runs and hides anytime a stranger takes our picture.
slickrock bound! (Obviously not recommended for kids-but fun to explore a little)
Carson LOVED the motorcyclists
this makes me smile
A hunting we will go
Honey sticks
"...and here we have some biocryptonic soil, at milllions of years old it is highly advisable that you do not walk on it..."
lunch
love this
moonflower canyon
1 comment:
seriously, you guys are the greatest family i know!! what a fun spur of the moment trip.
Post a Comment