One of my goals for this year was to complete the Ogden 50k. At the time of writing it down, I had never done a mountain bike race. I have always wanted to race bikes, and this year it all worked out. Wes's buddy, Ian, the owner of Bike Fix, had some great jerseys and great deals. He sponsered some races and was very helpful. I also had some help from Erica Tingey and LW coaching, but I can't say that I stuck to the training like I should. I have huge guilt when I'm out doing things without my kids, but also know that it's crucial for my health, mentally and physically. So when Ian offered a free entry to the Ogden 50k, I couldn't turn it down.
The race at Snowbasin went well and it's always nice to get out and ride. There is something so euphoric about winding through tree tunnels in crisp mountain air. It becomes almost meditative, no thinking, just feeling. Then I had the rude interruption of my seat coming loose, I had no tools (ya, bad idea) so I rode above my seat till I could get to a stopping point. Luckily, a spectator had an alan wrench and got me going again. On the downhill I began taking inventory on everything that needed replacing on my bike. I had a good washout on one portion of the trail, need a new front tire, shock, seat, grips.... Ok a new bike would be really nice. Other than that, the race was 2 laps and i had a hard time not repeating, "I gotta do this again?" My body was starting to hurt and the temptation to quit was seeping in. But I had committed to finish the race and quitting wasn't an option. It's kinda like giving birth, you think at the time you'll never do it again. But once it's over and you have this little bundle, you forget the pain and want to do it all over again. The gratification is not as deep when the effort is minimal. And the joy is overwhelming when you've given it everything you got.
Which is why I want to do it again next year. I ended up first in sport category. woohooo!
Not a big fan of this picture, there was like a mile of road at the very end of the race. Of all the beautiful scenery up there I had to get a picture with cones in the background.
2 comments:
Awesome. Good for you!!! You keep it up!
You are wonder woman!! Miss you.
Post a Comment