Thursday, February 3, 2011

Winter Fun and Museums




One thing about winter that drives me crazy is having to stay inside. Last couple of weeks we have tried to get out often. We went sledding, built a humongus snow fort/slide, went to the dinosaur museum, and to the church history Museum in salt lake city.
It takes about 3o minutes to get the kids all dressed up to go outside, sometimes they're begging me to go and sometimes I'm begging them. I have a little thing for good gear esp. gloves and boots. Too often when I taught skiing the kids would complain of cold because they had on very cheap gloves. If you can afford a 50$ ski ticket for your kid, you can afford good gloves. (I went to Jans in PC, they are 50% off downstairs) It's worth it because they stay out longer and have more fun. So anyway, the day after the snowstorm we built a huge fort, something I haven't done since elementary. It took about 2 hours and I was sore the next day. But a good workout! The kids also look and feel healthier when they spend time outside.
The museum of Church History was great. There is no charge and it has greatly improved since I went last at five years old. It's alot like the gateway museum for kids, lots of fun things to do centered around the history of the book of Mormon. Malia spent quite a while dancing the spanish dance in front of a mirror. I definitely recommend it and don't know why they don't advertise it better.
The dinosaur museum gets old for me, maybe from spending a whole summer inside it helping paint the murals, but Carson loves it. He takes off the minute we get inside and rattles off all the different dinosaurs he sees.

1 comment:

Mike and Abbie said...

haha, that fort is HUGE! Looks like they had fun. When I get to a point where I feel like I don't have homework every second of my life, we'll have to have those kiddies over for a sleepover!