Sunday, January 23, 2011

Carl Bloch Exhibit



I have to thank Carl Bloch for helping me have a more christ centered christmas. We had the oppertunity to see his amazing oil paintings in their originaly at the Byu Museum of art.
I went with the expectation of a to see a religious art show and came out completely awed by the fact that it had touched me so. My first impressions were of the amazing qualities of the artworks themselves, and how he paints like Rembrantde, with fantastic depth and contrast. Then I saw the painting of Christ in Gesthsemane and while discussing it with my sister came to a deeper appreciation for not just the technique and genius of the painting, but for the message and feelings it was bringing to my heart. The pains of suffering and the ultimate peace the Gospel brings when we put our trust in God.
There aren't very many older paintings of Christ that invoke such spirituality and I mostly credited that to lack of inspiration from God through the dark ages. But I looked into the dates of the religious commissions he had done and found them to be after the restoration of the gospel which meant he HAD to of had devine revelation in producing these works. Needless to say the show enhanced my appreciation of good religious art immensely, and created in my own heart a greater desire to produce more christ centered art myself one day.

1 comment:

RuthHewlett Pope said...

And if you produce religious art for any other reason it will be for the wrong reason.