Something requiring lots of care, hard work, some sense, and eyes in the back of your head. Will sprout weeds of terror when not looking. May cause sunburn, sore back and frustration. When properly cared for, may give great returns. See also children.
So this year we started a little experimental garden in our backyard. So far, we lost a few to frostbite, but most are still green and growing, I hope! Morgan was thrilled to pick out some vegetables, his favorite, watermelon. We dug the hole and Morgan placed the little plant in and carefully packed the dirt around it. In a little whisper he said, "There, little watermelon, nice and cozy." He then asked if the plants had little voices. "Why, I said, are you hearing some"?
Each day we check the garden, Morgan says, "oooh! look at the little baby peas!"
Little Carson has no problem digging out weeds, not to mention some plants too.
My favorite are the grapevines. I love how they grow, wild and free, making little places for the kids to hide under, and eat yummy grapes. If that's not enough, homemade grape juice can't be beat.
There is something mildy euphoric about gardening, whether it's the interaction with a forgiving earth, helping in the creation of something living, or just being outside enjoying the blessings around us. Maybe, like raising kids, it's just the satisfaction of working towards something good, with each day as a chance to do better, a challenge to overcome, a continual hope that one day it will all pay off....
3 comments:
hello Jess I thought you were supposed to be an illustrator not a writer! That was the most beautifully poetic post, when did you become so deep and insightful! So when will your book be coming out? i have to agree on the garden thing, there is something about being outside digging in the dirt that puts life into perspective. I am jealous of all the green around you, I don't remember what that color even looks like!
We planted our first garden this year, I think I'm going to kill everything, practice makes perfect.
Ryan J (your cousin)
I am with you about loving to garden, in a lot of ways I think many of the problems with our society come from our disconnect with our food and the earth. I am so looking forward to having a home of my own someday to grow everything that will stand still.
Post a Comment