Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Xterra Beaver Creek 2010



So this was my first Real Xterra and have have to say I loved it---doing triathlons keeps me balanced, healthy and motivated. I have been really working on eating healthier mostly because my doctor said I was hypoglycemic, and had some other issues all of which he said I would have the rest of my life. I questioned him and said there has to be a fix to these ailments, especially the glucose intolerance. His reply? "Ask Larry Miller about that." I love my doctor but I was determined to prove him wrong. It has been about four years and I no longer have any of these problems anymore. It is really the truth that diet and exercise (and prayer) has everything to do with it, along with stress managment. I have come to believe that it is all about the body's delicate balance, the PH more specifically. A body that is too acidic will be sick alot. To balance an acidic body is merely feeding it with alkaline foods--vegatables. I also replace milk and energy drinks with coconut water, and drink a spinach smoothie at least four times a week, plus a few supplements like turmeric. I also hugely downsized my intake of sugar and cereals. So doing all this has given me more energy to train for a triathlon.
The Beaver Creek Xterra was a blast! I felt ready enough and made us a crazy pre-race spinach drink with lots of ingredients that most people probably wouldn't touch. I wanted to do the race w/out alot of caffiene or sugar. I had no cramping and adequate energy, though in a race like that energy is never in abundance. I was feeling great the whole race, happy to be doing something I had written in my goal book. To me it racing can be such a spiritual experience, in more ways than one. It's the preparation, the test of self and God reliance, and the feeling of accomplishment. It's downright addicting. I came in 17th overall-- It was a nice race and a fun trip- I'd love to do it again next year. Wes' wasn't so lucky, his derailure on his bike broke and came in late. Always next year though!

1 comment:

RuthHewlett Pope said...

This was great!! I'm so glad you are posting your comments on health issues. People should learn from you. How fun for you.