
Any day that requires me to stop just for second and contemplate how I am doing as a mother is a day that brings some apprehension. Sure, it's nice to have a 'day' but then again I find myself taking inventory on all the things I could do so much better as a mother. Nonetheless, I am appreciative for all the mothers around me who, in one way or another, have inspired me to be (or at least try to be)a better mother. I feel a deep gratitude for my little place in the lives of three beautiful spirits who like it or not, have been placed in my care.
Sometimes, I do wonder if I missed the memo for that seminar. You know the one where they tell you how to maintain composure at the end of the day when you have a headache, or whateverache, and are halfway through making dinner and realize the baby has ejected substance running down her leg, so you run down to change and bathe her, when suddenly you hear the clip clop of little goat hooves running through the kitchen and your four year old squealing with delight chasing after them. So while running back upstairs to catch the goats and holding your toddler like a football, you notice your five year old up on the counter cutting zucchini and putting it in the salsa. Yes, he is careful with a knife, but seriously.
Oh, and when you're feeding baby goats with a bottle and your baby's in your lap, try to pay enough attention as not to accidentally put the goat's bottle in your baby's mouth. crap!
I mentioned this to my Dad who just laughed and said, "well they're all kids anyway."
Yes, sometimes I need a time out, and I know it could always be worse. I am just glad for hot showers and a bathroom door that locks.
There are definitely the good days too. The ones where my kids discover they really are magic- or just have to show me how high they can jump, how fast they can run, or just how hard they can hug. Then off they run to school, turning only to blow kisses-and it might as well be my heart running down the sidewalk with a backpack on.
I have learned that motherhood can be a difficult job, but with it comes a salary of unmeasurable value.
Happy Mother's Day to all those wonderful mother's out there who continually brighten the path of those who are following.
2 comments:
Jess, you really have a way with words. What a wonderful mother you are.. to those sweet and precious children of yours.
I have a whole week of nothing going on. We should get together. I haven't seen the kiddies in a while :)
thanks Abbie, that's nice of you to say. It always makes me a bit nervous to write-
(I had a college professor hand me back my thesis and the first thing he said was, "Well, your definitely not a writer.")
Post a Comment