Tuesday, October 20, 2009

so sick

Little Carson came down with such a sickness.  His fever ran up to just under 104 Friday night when Wes was gone hiking the narrows.  It was 1:00 am when I wished I had the calm collective reassurance that Wes and the optional blessing can bring. Thankfully, Carson was able to sleep and his fever didn't get any higher.  Unless the fever gets to 104 and keeps them awake i don't like to use fever reducers and mess with the bodies natural defense against infection.  So it was a relief to see it falling on it's own.  Anyway, I decided to take him into the doctor the next day but there were a lot of people there with masks on getting flu shots and what not, and I just decided to turn around and go back home. There seems to be such an overload of hype on the H1N1 flu and the vaccine.  Is it really necessary for healthier individuals? Yeah, I can see the point for people with compromised immune systems like diabetics, obese persons, some babies etc, and they Should get it! ).  But how is the body supposed to create antibodies and immunities if we constantly bombard it with temporary vaccinations?  There are some people who are actually immune to this influenza because they have had it before, and gotten through it just fine.  The vaccines should be saved for those who really need it and can get it when they need it.
Is this one of those things that is okay to do because everyone else is doing it? That doctors and chemists are pushing because of the money they make from it?
 To me it seems like society has embraced the path of least resistance and instant gratification to a such point that when we begin to experience any pain we must have instant relief.  Don't we gain strength (in more ways than one), by going through some pain?  Have we lost trust in our bodies and spirits ability to heal without being completely reliant on western medicine?(Keeping in mind there are exceptions of course, and I mean more severe situations where death is a very probable outcome)
I'm not saying I think all vaccinations are bad--some are given for good reasons.  I just don't like the pressure of conforming to the status quo when I feel it really isn't necessary (or right).
So who knows, my kids may already be sick with the swine virus, and I pray daily for insight as to how to best deal with what illness may come our way.  If the sickness get worse, I plan on calling the doc and getting some antibiotics.  I hope anyone who gets this illness gets through it without alot of complications.

2 comments:

Molly said...

I'm so sorry your little kiddo is sick! Calli had the stomach flu (yay- but at least she's old enough to hurl in the pot) the weekend before last then right after-wards ended up with a week-long cold. She kept wiping her nose with her sleeve across her face and consequently has a chapped nose, chin and cheek. It was driving me nuts that she was doing that so my Mom gave her a wash cloth (she refused to use toilet paper or a kleenex or a hanky) and she walked around for 4 or 5 days dragging and slapping this disgusting washcloth around. I should've just safety- pinned it to her sleeve and said, "wipe away"... that way, it wouldn't have been touching everything.

You know what? I'm not going to freak out about the H1N1 thing either... its just another influenza virus and they still think that more people will die of the seasonal influenza than will the regular one and I think I only got Calli the flu shot once a couple of years ago. If Calli had asthma or something like that, I probably would. I guess the dangerous thing about the Influenza is mainly high fevers that won't go down (since it can cause brain damage, blindness, deafness) and the possibility for weak respiratory systems to take a beating they can't handle. I always wonder with colds and my mom says if its "green snot" its-not just a virus anymore and needs antibiotics . The scariest thing I think is not being able to get a high fever down since they can develop pneumonia. There were two parents a couple of weeks ago whose 2 year old had a cold/virus and died. They didn't believe in medication (faith healing stuff). The child's condition worsened until it became pneumonia and he died within 2 weeks (before he was a perfectly healthy kid). Afterwards, the coroner said that he would be alive if they had just used Tylenol to reduce his fever in the first place - and that's all a doctor would've said, too b/c there's nothing you can do about a virus anyway.

I'm glad Carson's doing okay -- 104 is scarey! I'm glad it went down! (And if it gets that high again... I'd give him something. Not much higher than that (106+), is like death) And I need him to live a long time to marry my child ;)

Wes and Jess said...

Yeah, I defineatly believe there are extremes either way. Like people who won't immunize their kids.
One of the reasons I worried so much when Carson had his fever was if it was going to get any higher. You can bet if it got higher than 104 I would have taken him in, ER if I had to. Yeah, we have doctors and antibiotics for a good reason. I am on them because I am susceptable to walking pneumonia, I got pleurasy while traveling in Guatemala and my lungs seem to hang on to coughs alot longer. But fevers do scare me when they are high and last longer than a day or two, but the boys are doing much better now.