Sunday, September 27, 2009

Yay for fall, and Wes and Morgan











I love love fall.  The evenings bring  an ever so slight breeze that seem to wake up my senses to beautiful new changes.  There's such an amazing orchestra of color, sounds, feelings and freshness.  For me it's a feeling of completion, a harvest, an anticipation of get-togethers,  and snowy days on the slopes.   It is like the golden hour of a day, the last glow of light most enjoyed and savored before the sun takes its rest.  Fall rejuvinates my whole being. I love love fall.
 Both boys are in preschool now, Morgan on second year.  Both are enjoying their new 'independent lifestyles.'  I have thought alot about charter schools, so if anyone has any input about those I would greatly appreciate it.
Wes did the mountain xterra triathlon, although he was not excited about it, having done little training and falling sick the day of the race.  This season had been shot for both of us, Wes started the summer out by stepping on a nail, and I had the fortune of a stone vase falling on my foot while I was wiping little Carson's bum and didn't see it fall. (I know, random, the tiny bones took months to heal.)    
The best part of the race was when Morgan, (who had gotton up at the crack of dawn to get his running clothes on) ran alongside Wes on the run.  It was such a neat moment, Wes slowed down just enough so Morgan could keep up before it got too steep for little legs to continue.  Even the runners behind him slowed a bit instead of passing.   One lady came up to me and said, "seeing him run with his father made my entire day, that is what this is all about!"  I thought about the truth of that short statement, how the finish line and the focus of getting ahead can sometimes deter from that which brings most beloved joy.  My children have taught me so much in the way of simple happiness: enjoy the little things, play together often, and believe we are superheroes.
Wes has his triathlons and I have mine.  From Morgan to Carson to Malia, changing, feeding, cleaning, I wouldn't trade it for the world.
The other day at the state fair, there was a baby alligator.  Since these are one of Carson's favorites, I thought he'd want to hold it.  Surprisingly he said, "No way!   He'll slap me and pee on me."  I couldn't stop thinking of a baby alligator slapping carson across the face in fast motion like on the little rascals. Next year Morgan wants to enter his corn in the state fair and Carson wants to enter his plastic sting ray.


4 comments:

Ben & Carly said...

beautifully said Jess, as always you have inspired me. thank you for sharing those thoughts, I needed to hear them. that picture of Carson running is definitely touching, what a great memory. I miss you!

RuthHewlett Pope said...

This brings laughter to me and with everything going on around this world we can use some laughter. Thanks.

Molly said...

I love your kids! And I love the fall! Wish we could be there to enjoy it with you guys!

Cortney said...

How adorable is that. Morgan running along Wes' side. So cute. I love your kids. The part at the end about Carson's sting ray made me laugh extremely hard. He's brought that a few times to Nursery:)