Thursday, July 2, 2009

Big Sky and West Yellowstone













So I am attempting to catch up on the blog all at once.  Better late than never I suppose.
We decided to go to Yellowstone on Friday and left the next day.  It was quite spontaneous but great fun.   Wes went up to help one of his friend on a job up there so we all went along for Father's Day.  Carson loved seeing all the animals and Morgan loved the paint pots.
But for Wes and I the best part was Big Sky. We drove up there to get away from the large masses of tourists filling their bags with knick knacks to place in their hutches at home.   Big sky defineatly lives up to its name- it is by all means so beautifully breathtaking.  We rode the chairlift to the top and went on a little hike to a spot on the mountain that had a picnic table perfect for lunch.  There was also a large patch of snow where the boys could not resist a snowball fight.  Morgan mentioned we should move up there,( I would have no problem with that.)  When we returned to go back down the lift, it had closed!  Apparently they had decided to shut down a half hour earlier than their signs suggested.   It was a 3 mile hike back down, but we decided to check the restaurant to see if there was anyone there.  The chef actually was just getting ready to leave and was happy to have some company to drive down the bumpy hill with.  He gave the boys some cookies and chips and they climbed in the back of the truck with Wes.  It was then that we saw the fox, and the Grizzly Bear.  It was such a beautiful setting, the bear was down in the valley about 100 yards away. Wes had never seen one in the wild before so this was such a treat for him. Sadly my camera died just an hour before and I didn't get pictures!!! But isn't that how it is?  Some times though, I believe we are given experiences that are just for us, to remember the moment as our own.  They are opportunities to create mental snapshots, to appreciate the quiet naturalness of our surroundings.  Then are we better prepared to recognize these moments as small gifts from God.  
So missing the last chair ride down was a good thing.
We decided to take the scenic way home after our time in Yellowstone and hit Jackson Hole.  We passed the Tetons at sunset, and the beauty of those mountains was truly amazing! People were getting out of their cars to take pictures.  I managed to take some on my camera phone as if that gives them any justice at all.  I will post them when I get around to getting the pics of my phone...
Regardless to say I have never been a real fan of road trips until this one.  It was all pretty spontaneous--we passed Bear Lake and the boys wanted to go swim, so we did! That was actually what made it so fun.  Yes planning is always prudent but  some trips will never be made unless you just go. 

4 comments:

Ben & Carly said...

truly beautiful, I'm glad you got to enjoy it.....hooray for spontaniety! I loved your post on the neanderthal, and umm if they would have exsisted they would have looked just like that, you are truly talented.

Annie said...

Wow. I love reading your blog. I'm thinking about quoting you in my English class. I loved your comment about mental snapshots. I'm glad the trip was so spontaneous and memorable. I'm way too much of a planner to ever do something like that.

Calli said...

That would have been great to run into you guys up there, we were there fri-monday. I would love to see your kids, they are stinking cute! I think the camera we were using was a nixon.. i dont know the model though.. i wish it was mine.

Jess said...

It looks like you have had a great summer so far. Yellowstone... so jealous! We went last year and loved every second of it.